Cupix Support Center
Implemented
Aie everybody, Anyone know if we can use cupix for Google virtual visit?
  • Ah, I see your point now, Tim.  What they're talking about is to only identify certain key pictures as being associated with the resort, and everything else could tie to (say) the name of the town.  The concern then would be whether you'd be able to connect two or more pictures which belong to separate place names.  What I've done for such a case has been to temporarily place both pictures in the same entity, connect them, and then change one picture to its future home.  That seems to work, although it's a bit circuitous, and there's no guarantee that Google will retain such a connection.  You can see how I did that here; the pictures change entities from Starbucks to Michaels to Commerce Blvd as you progress down the street: https://goo.gl/maps/5XUMqPFaJ6J2

• [It looks like my reply was likely flagged for containing a URL.]

Ah, I see your point now, Tim.  What they're talking about is to only identify certain key pictures as being associated with the resort, and everything else could tie to (say) the name of the town.  The concern then would be whether you'd be able to connect two or more pictures which belong to separate place names.  What I've done for such a case has been to temporarily place both pictures in the same entity, connect them, and then change one picture to its future home.  That seems to work, although it's a bit circuitous, and there's no guarantee that Google will retain such a connection.  You can see how I did that here; the pictures change entities from Starbucks to Michaels to Commerce Blvd as you progress down the street: goo (dot) gl (slash) maps (slash) 5XUMqPFaJ6J2

• Well, I published my first (outdoor) segment, and I regretfully admit that it turned my excitement for the Cupix system into disappointment.  In addition to the inability to place stores on specific levels, as described above, I encountered several additional concerns that unfortunately force me to look elsewhere for a moderation solution:

1. The Adjust 3D Tour step, which lets you sync your tour to Google's map, uses a fixed 755x325 window, which is only 12% of my screen.  This by itself is an annoyance, not a show-stopper, but it really does restrict how accurately I can place the tour, compared to the case where I could use most of my screen.  (See first screenshot below.)
    2. The aspect that really, really, really excited me the most about Cupix, the extreme precision that the system automatically determined for each pano, relative to each other, then got completely lost as follows.  In addition to the above frustration, I was not able to simultaneously zoom into the map and my tour.  This forced all 42 pins to appear within about 235 pixels, with no chance of being able to place the whole tour more precisely.  I'd have a better chance if I could at least zoom into both the map and tour at the same time, so as to better align various points.  This is more of a significant issue than the screen usage annoyance, but obviously the two concerns combined make things worse.
    3. Instead of the place name that I selected, the system displayed its street address.  140 stores share this same address.  Google initially identified the panos as "Unknown Place", but did eventually correct them to "Best Buy".  So this added unnecessary stress, which could've easily been prevented by showing the place name in addition to the address.
    4. Another show-stopper is that the rotation appears to have been ignored.  If you compare the first screenshot to the second, which shows where each pano was published to Google by Cupix, you'll see that the north end of the line is significantly east of where it was set, (in the above step), and the south end is significantly west.  So I'm going to have to correct every point manually, which eliminates any savings that I had anticipated from Cupix's gorgeous auto-placement abilities.

I'm really hoping that I'm either mistaken about some/all of this, and/or that these concerns can be somehow addressed.  I see a lot of promise for Cupix, and would love to find a way to join the family.

Login to post a comment